Tuesday, June 15, 2010

long time no post


It's been a busy year. In between tutoring and finishing my thesis (yes, it is done and approved...finally!) I treated myself to a hobby. I took two sewing classes at mesa college during the fall and one during the spring. Well, ok to clarify, one was a sewing class, and two were pattern making. I probably should have done the ratio the other way around, but the pattern making classes were 3 hours a week, and the sewing class was more like 8...you do the math.

When I was little, and would sell my masterful creations to my fashion-savvy cousins, my grandpa dubbed me Famous Jamous. Anyway, this past year our kitchen table became my sewing corner and Famous Jamous got to learn that sliding elastic waistbands through a square piece of fabric is not the only--or best--means to slimming barbie's silhouette.

Here are my two semester projects which I got to show at the Golden Scissors Fashion Show in May at the Westin at Horton Plaza. Those models can really walk fast, so the one pic I did get is a little blurry. Hence the other shots.

I definitely felt like I was on Project Runway because I did 100% of the creating. Starting with a piece of paper, we sketched our designs, created the patterns, and then constructed the garments. I did not, however, get to fit my model or even eliminate her. All of my fabric came from the national city swap meet for a total of $15 (the navy jacket and plaid dress are 100% wool and i have no idea what the content of the floral fabric is, but it was $2.00).

I'm hoping in UT I can take another class, but I'm not sure how much free time I'll have because I'll be teaching again.

And aunts and uncles relax, these outfits are not for sale...even though I know the cousins will be begging. just kidding ;)

6 comments:

  1. So fun I love your creations! maybe you can be in an upcoming season of project runway! We need to sign up for a class this fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous you are still sewing and even improving your skills. I still remember that sewing class we took and wish I had kept up with it. Your outfits are so cute. Did you make them your size so you can wear them? By the way, I love that you still use that sewing box. I wonder if my mom still has mine somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. remember when we would wear our vests on the same day ALWAYS. and our teachers were worried we would never have friends that were not our cousins ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey roomie!! Long time no see. Are you a red head now?? I love it! You can pull off ANY hair style. I love that about you. Ok so my blog is super boring but if you want to keep in touch, email me and I'll send you an invite. jennae_porter@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that you still have that navy floral sewing box! your dresses turned out amazing! i think the one with the blazer should definitely be what you wear on your first day of school. make me something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thats pretty amazing! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete